|Program:||Doctor of Philosophy in Urdu|
|1. Admission Criteria
· Minimum BS or 16 years of education in relevant discipline Or
Minimum BS or 16 years of education in any discipline
Subject to approval of the admission committee, evaluating his/her strong interest in perusing a PhD degree in a different discipline if the admission committee is satisfied that the applicant’s prior education has sufficiently prepared him or her to undertake the course of studies of the doctoral program (or, in the opinion of the admissions committee, the preparation can be deemed satisfactory by taking a few additional courses after starting the program), the applicant shall be considered for admissions notwithstanding their prior qualification in a different discipline.Or
Minimum MS / MPhil or 18 years of education in relevant discipline
2. Minimum GPA Requirement: For admission in PhD programs, a minimum CGPA of 3.0 (out of 4.0 in the semester system) or First Division (in the annual system) in the most recent degree obtained is required, whether such was degree obtained from Recognized Pakistani or foreign universities.
3. Testing Requirement: Applicants to PhD programs shall be required to fulfill the following testing requirements:
All applicants to PhD programs are required to take one of the following non subject specific admission test:
· The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test administered by the Education Testing Service;
· A graduate admission test administered be Education Testing Council; or
· With the permission of HEC, an equivalent test developed by ALHAMD Islamic University, for admission to graduate programs.
4. Statement of Purpose: As part of the application for admission to PhD programs, applicants are required to submit a statement of purpose, which forms an integral part of the application. The admission committee shall use the information provided to ascertain the preparedness and interest of the candidate in pursuing doctoral studies, and whether the department has the requisite resources to train and supervise the doctoral candidate in the subspecialty he or she is interested in.
Degree Completion Timeline: The PhD degree shall be awarded by universities after a minimum of three (3) years and not more than eight (8) years after the enrollment of the student; provided that for students who are unable to complete the program within eight (8) years, the university may designate a competent authority to determine whether the delay was caused by circumstances beyond the student’s control, and if so, grant an extension in such exceptional circumstances; provided further that in no event shall the PhD degree be awarded more than ten (10) years after the enrollment of the student in the program. The date of notification of the award of the PhD degree subsequent to the PhD defense shall be considered to be the date of the completion of PhD studies.
Award of MS/MPhil Degrees on the Basis of PhD Studies: If a student successfully completes the full set of requirements for the award of an MS/MPhil (or equivalent) degree during the course of their PhD studies, the university may award the applicable degree to such students upon completion of the relevant requirements.